Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mid-Singles Conference Reflections

Many of my friends can attest to how difficult it can be to be single, too old for the young single adults AND live in Spokane. Spokane started a mid-singles group last year, patterned after groups they have in Utah, California and other states. There are many single members of the church that go inactive when they are single and over the age of 30. Its hard to feel like you fit anywhere.

I'm SO happy that I went to the conference this year. I really enjoyed it last year too. Last year was about 2 months after I had some serious trauma and 1 month after losing my dear friend Brooke. I almost didn't go this year, thinking that it would be the same crowd as last year. I remembered how I was spiritually edified last year, just when I needed it the most.

I had a blast making new friends this year and was also spiritually edified. I felt like I commented too much in each of the classes, but there were times that I felt the feeling the Spirit gives you prior to bearing your testimony. I'm really happy I went and received some great inspiration and impressions.

I couldn't participate in the "get to know you" games that were Friday night. I enjoyed a conversation that I had with Cap. Blake George. I had the privilege of hearing him speak at a fireside and was really happy to hear him speak again. I sat on the side lines during the get to know you games that required physical activities that I couldn't do. But during this time, I had a chance to talk to Brother George. He is a great example of how you can serve our country and be a wonderful servant of the Lord. His Christ-like countenance strengthens my testimony of how the atonement of Christ applies to all aspects of life. There is nothing in this life that the atonement of Christ cannot conquer.

My pain level is directly affected by my quantity of sleep, and I only got 3 hours Friday night. (It was totally worth it cause I met and made some new friends) So Saturday was a really bad pain day, in fact, its the worst I've felt in over 6 months. I was missing Brooke all day. I couldn't do any of the dancing and wished I had Brooke there to keep me company. I have wonderful memories of people watching with her at dances, being very entertained. I almost wish my chronic pain would have started before she died. I wish I would have taken more time to learn about how she is so graceful when faces with adversity. I've prayed that her example will be brought to my remembrance and that I will be able to have her attributes for facing trials.

I'm determined to have fun wherever life takes me. I love to people watch and enjoy watching others have fun. I will do all that I can, but even if I have to watch from the sidelines, I can always bring my camera with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment